International Students and Visiting Scholars

The School of Education is fortunate to have an amazing community of international students and visiting scholars throughout our ten academic departments.

With approximately 60 undergraduate students, 170 graduate students, and 45 visiting scholars from 29 countries around the globe, we value the immense range of knowledge and experiences that international students and scholars bring to our intellectual and creative communities. In turn, the School of Education aims to provide inclusive community and targeted support for those studying and researching outside of their home countries.

Undergraduate International Students

Admission to UW–Madison is granted through the Admissions Office. Once accepted, we encourage you to contact Education Academic Services to learn more about different undergraduate majors, or to meet with your advisor if you are already in the School of Education.

There are many resources available for international students:

  • The Office of Global Engagement hosts events and lectures that focus on global themes.
  • The International Student Services (ISS) Office hosts a number of programs and activities for the international student community, as well as provides ongoing immigration advising and assistance.
  • The Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (OEDI) is committed to diversity within the School of Education. Many international undergraduate students value the support and connections they make through this office.
  • For students looking to connect with others who have similar interests or shared cultural backgrounds, the Wisconsin Involvement Network has a list of over 900 clubs and organizations.

Graduate International Students

Admission to UW–Madison is managed by the School of Education’s individual academic departments in coordination with the UW–Madison Graduate School.

Moving across the world to pursue graduate studies is exciting and daunting, all at the same time. We are working to build a set of resources that pertain to international graduate students’ experiences in the School of Education.

International Visiting Scholars

The School of Education values the ways international visiting scholars enrich our community and enhance our connections to create change in the world.

If you would like to serve as an international visiting scholar in the School of Education, please start by selecting one of the following steps:

If you already know a faculty member in the School of Education whom you would like to be your faculty sponsor: Please email that faculty member directly to inquire about becoming a visiting scholar. They will contact our office about next steps.

If you do not already know a faculty member in the School of Education: Please complete our International Visiting Scholar Inquiry Form. The Global Engagement Office will review your materials and forward them to School of Education departments as appropriate. If a faculty member approves your request, you will be contacted by our office with this information and instruction. Please do not email faculty members or departments if you do not already have contacts in the School of Education. Instead, please complete the inquiry form and let us match you with a department and/or faculty member with expertise in your field of research, if possible. Submitting this inquiry form is not a formal application and does not guarantee an invitation to serve as an international visiting scholar.

After international visiting scholars are approved by faculty sponsors and their respective departments, the Global Engagement Office (GEO) serves as the main point of contact in the application and administrative processes. The GEO collects and verifies all documents necessary for the DS-2019 immigration document (used to apply for the J-1 visa), before forwarding them to International Faculty and Staff Services on the scholars’ behalf.

International visiting scholars must be post-PhD or terminal degree candidates. An overview of J-1 Scholar Status is available on the International Faculty and Staff Services website.

If you have any questions, please reach out to our office (

Campus Resources for International Students and Scholars

  • International Student Services (ISS): International Student Services offers a wide variety of services and programs for undergraduate and graduate international students, including support concerning visas, employment, tax information, and related immigration issues. Be sure to check out their Get Involved opportunities for programs and events to foster connections across campus and in the local community.
  • International Faculty & Staff Services (IFSS): Housed within the Office of Human Resources, IFSS provides comprehensive assistance to the UW–Madison on all aspects of non-student immigration, such as J-1 visa, employment, dependent, tax information, and related immigration issues.
  • University Health Services (UHS): UHS provides health services to all students and scholars, including medical services, mental health, victim advocacy, prevention, health promotion, etc. If you are a University employee, there are different insurance plans available.
  • University Apartments: Get information these housing options: Eagle Heights, Harvey Street, and University House.

Student Organizations and International Student Groups

The Wisconsin Involvement Network has a list of over 900 clubs and organizations. A few that are of interests to many School of Education graduate students include:

Organizations of Community Connections

  • Morgridge Center for Public Service: If you want to connect with the community, the Morgridge Center for Public Service helps to build partnerships and solve critical issues through service.
  • The Network Fellows: This program, available to School of Education graduate students, facilitates partnerships by building connections between educators, researchers, policy makers, administrators, and community members in the state of Wisconsin.
  • Madison Friends of International Students: MFIS connects Madison-area international university and college students, scholars, and any accompanying family with local residents to foster cultural exchange, global goodwill, and friendships around the world.
  • INTERNATIONAL REACH Cross-cultural Speakers Program: Facilitated by the International Student Services Office, this program connects international students with local schools, campus venues, and community organizations for presentations, discussions, and/or conversations about the student’s home country and culture to promote cross-cultural understanding through the sharing of experiences.


Campus bus NO. 80: Free. Identification not required for boarding. The 80 bus is the main campus circulator serving major campus locations such as Union South, UW Hospital, and Eagle Heights. If you are not riding an 80 bus, you will need a bus pass and student ID to board. Bus passes are issued every semester at ASM student activity center (333 East Campus Mall), or Union South. More information about public transportation:


  1. On campus: There are two options. If you only plan to drive in occasionally, you can use the hourly temporary parking options available on campus. See the map for ramp locations and meters. Some campus meters require you to have the Park Mobile app. You need to download the app to your phone to use these designated parking spaces. If you are planning to park daily on campus, you can review Parking and Transportation Services’ options for students via their website. Graduate students often apply for the afternoon parking passes that allow them to park from 2:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. in one of the lots/ramps.
  2. Downtown Madison: City of Madison hourly parking ramps are available near the east end of campus located at N. Lake Street and N. Francis Street.



Grocery Stores with Regional Ingredients

  • Hispanic: El Mercadito (916 S. Whitney Way), Enrique’s Grocery (1417 Northport Drive), Hispanic Grocery Store (4512 E Washington Ave), Mercado Marimar (2102 S. Park St), Santa Maria Grocery (1326 S. Midvale Blvd), La Rosita Latina (6005 Monona Dr), Tienda Los Gemelos (6731 Odana Road), La Chaparrita (2618 E Washington Ave), La Hispana Grocery II (3060 Fish Hatchery Road), La Tiendita (2620 Allen Blvd), La Zacatecana (4915 Commercial Ave)
  • Chinese: Asian Midway Foods (301 S. Park St), Garden Asian Market (6136 University Ave), J & P Fresh Market (6634 Watts Road)
  • Korean: Oriental Food Mart (1206 S Park St)
  • Japanese: Oriental Shop (1029 S. Park St)
  • Indian: India House (709 S. Gammon Road), Bombay Bajaar (703 S. Gammon Road), Maharani’s Indian Grocery Store (6717 Odana Road), Maharja Grocery (1701 Thierer Road)
  • Southeast Asian: Viet Hoa Market (4602 Monona Drive), Madison Oriental Market (2119 Fish Hatchery Road)

International students typically hold F-1 (foreign student) visas. F-1 visas allow students to work in the United States in their field of study with proper authorization before and after graduation. Learn more about F-1 employment.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment authorization for F-1 students. It allows them to work in an internship, co-op, or practicum that is directly related to their major field of study. See Study in the States information on CPT.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows F-1 students to work off-campus in a job directly related to their major field of study to apply the knowledge and skills gained in the classroom to practical work experience in the U.S. There is also OPT STEM for eligible STEM majors.

Some international students hold a J-1 visa.

Academic Training (AT) provides practical experience that compliments to the program of study of J-1 students and must be directly related to their field of study, or major. Learn more about J-1 employment.

Are you an employer who is interested in hiring a Badger? Contact our Career Center.